Slip and fall accidents are one of the most common and most expensive reasons for personal injury claims. Victims usually suffer from minor injuries to serious damages that leave them temporarily or permanently disabled. Injury costs can be very high due to surgeries,special equipment and braces,medications and rehabilitation. However,if a claim is made from the company towards the responsible party and they win,the victim could be forced to cover all of the expenses. For this reason it is really important to know the main causes of these type of accidents and be aware of them.
Situations that can cause an accident
Knowing the most common causes of these accidents can help a person stay safe,as well as business owners,workplaces or the owner of a public space to avoid an expensive premises liability claim.
- Wet or uneven spaces. They include all floors that have spills that are not cleaned immediately,pavements that present irregularities on their surfaces without warning signs,lack of carpets or rugs on stairs,recently waxed,sloped or non-slip floors,potholes in parking lots,floors with grease splatters or other liquids,etc.
- Environmental conditions. Among the risks due to an accident we can mention: snow accumulation,leaves or debris on floors,accumulation of garbage or objects,poor lighting that makes it difficult to see surfaces,changes in the type of floors (in material),etc.
- Unsafe stairs. All places with several levels must have the appropriate stairs. Some of the causes of accidents can be: lack of handrails or the fact of not using them,running,jumping or stomping,debris,objects or garbage on the steps,waxed or polished stairs without non-slip surfaces,etc.
- Lack of training and equipment. This occurs mainly in companies,when workers are not provided with the appropriate equipment or when they are not given information for their use. All employees,mainly in high-risk industries,must be properly trained to use the necessary tools and equipment. The main cause of these accidents is improper use or lack of footwear.
- Negligence in retirement homes. The elderly are the most likely to suffer falls with very serious consequences,since over time their bones tend to be weaker and their balance more unstable. In these places the care in the floors and spaces must be greater.
- Fraud. Although it is of less occurrence (3 percent according to the NFSI),it is a reality that occurs. When the person sets the stage for the accident to occur,for example,pouring a liquid or an oil in a supermarket and in this way simulate the incident. Another way is when the person crashed somewhere else but pretends he was at work.
Needless to say,if you suffered an accident of this nature and had injuries or even a surgery,you should speak to a personal injury lawyer. They can help you get compensation to cover your medical expenses,in the case that it is the company’s fault or an act of negligence.